Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I Really Hate This Question...

I hate the question, “ What would you do if you knew you only had one day, one week, or one year to live?” It seems everyone is asking this question in the New Year. So when I’m asked this question, in a very sarcastic tone I always sing the lyrics to the Tim McGraw song “Live Like You Were Dying.” Will you take just a brief moment and read these lyrics?

He said: "I was in my early forties,"With a lot of life before me,"An' a moment came that stopped me on a dime."I spent most of the next days,"Looking at the x-rays,"An' talking 'bout the options an' talkin’ ‘bout sweet time."I asked him when it sank in,That this might really be the real end?How’s it hit you when you get that kind of news?Man whatcha do?

An' he said: "I went sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing,"I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu."And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,"And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying."An' he said: "Some day, I hope you get the chance,"To live like you were dyin'."

He said "I was finally the husband,"That most the time I wasn’t."An' I became a friend a friend would like to have."And all of a sudden goin' fishin’,"Wasn’t such an imposition,"And I went three times that year I lost my Dad."Well, I finally read the Good Book,"And I took a good long hard look,"At what I'd do if I could do it all again,"And then:

Insert Chorus

Like tomorrow was a gift,And you got eternity,To think about what you’d do with it.An' what did you do with it?An' what can I do with it?An' what would I do with it?
Insert Chorus

This song really is the anthem of some people’s lives. The general population of the world sings this song with a lighter over their heads waving it back and forth with their eyes closed thinking “what If I was dying.” Oh this irritates me to no end…we are all going to check out one day! So why wait till some doctor tells you that you have an incurable disease to start living?

Why wait…
To Love Deeply
To Forgive
To be the Husband or the Wife you should have been all along
To be the child you should have been all along
To be a true friend
To think of others needs
To live like you were dying

My challenge to all who read this blog and to myself is SIMPLY TO LIVE. Live every moment of everyday like it was your last. Scripture says in John 10:10 that the thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose (Jesus’ purpose) is to give them a rich and satisfying life. How great is that, we can have a RICH AND SATISFYING LIFE RIGHT NOW!
(:-) <---Smiling because I’m happy to be alive!

Much Love, Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment