Sunday, August 1, 2010

What does love have to do with it?

Okay, it has been years sense my last blog! I just haven’t had many thoughts to blog about that is until now! So here is my story about what love has to do with it!

After a late night of playing cards with my married friends husbands (their wives were at a pageant and that just didn’t seem as much fun as playing cards), I went to return the movies I rented to Red Box. I had been waiting in line for over ten minutes and was getting very aggravated, when a friend from high school who was having some problems with the machine ask if I could help out. The thought of saying no never really crossed my mind, so I helped him out and then quickly realized I lost my spot in line. I returned to the end of the line which had grown significantly. At this point I was joined by a lady who seemed to be my age and had already made her way to the front of the first Red Box line.

So in this kind of creepy way the lady that was now behind me said “I saw what you did”. I must be honest that kind of freaked me out, and I had no clue what she was talking about. After talking with her for a few minutes, I learned she was talking about me giving up my spot in the line to help my old friend out. So for the rest of the night all I could think about was who would say no, even if it was a stranger I would of helped them out. I’m not bragging on myself, but has humanity taken such a downward spiral that just a simple gesture like helping someone return a movie would become an inconvenience? If so this world is in big trouble!

Whatever happened to doing unto others as you would have them do unto you? Or what about these words Jesus spoke while here on earth…Love your neighbor as yourself? Are these statements of the past; are we not to live by these words anymore?

Sometimes I feel like I live in a world that is so foreign to the way I believe and think. To look at someone in need, and to tell that person we don’t have time for them is devastating. People are in need now more than ever, and I’m scared to say that most of the Christian people that are roaming the earth today are just passing them by. We have invented excuses for not taking care of humanity excuses like I just don’t have the time, money, or energy. Wow! If I can remember correctly from the Bible Jesus was poor, homeless, and did not have any resources at all! No excuses can be left of the table if you are a God follower, you must take care of people, all people.

What does love have to do with it, EVERYTHING. Jesus states in scripture that if we love Him you will feed His sheep. And Jesus doesn’t say just feed good looking sheep, straight sheep, white sheep, healthy sheep, rich sheep, but all of my sheep. Jesus is a whosoever may come kind of Savior, a Savior who is willing to help all. I’m afraid “Christians” have diverted from this message, now we pick and chose and that is just not how it works!

This scripture states how it really should be…

-10Love from the center of who you are; don't fake it. Run for dear life from evil; hold on for dear life to good. Be good friends who love deeply; practice playing second fiddle. 11-13Don't burn out; keep yourselves fueled and aflame. Be alert servants of the Master, cheerfully expectant. Don't quit in hard times; pray all the harder. Help needy Christians; be inventive in hospitality.4-16Bless your enemies; no cursing under your breath. Laugh with your happy friends when they're happy; share tears when they're down. Get along with each other; don't be stuck-up. Make friends with nobodies; don't be the great somebody. 17-19Don't hit back; discover beauty in everyone. If you've got it in you, get along with everybody. Don't insist on getting even; that's not for you to do. "I'll do the judging," says God. "I'll take care of it." 20-21Our Scriptures tell us that if you see your enemy hungry, go buy that person lunch, or if he's thirsty, get him a drink. Your generosity will surprise him with goodness. Don't let evil get the best of you; get the best of evil by doing good. –Romans 12:10-21 Message Bible

Much love my friends.

Ashley Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment